Ken Cohen | Democrat
Participants in the Allyson Whitney 5K, including Sam Putzer, 23 of Kauneonga Lake (right), enjoyed the pre-race Zumba routines inside the Kauneonga Lake pavilion. The Janice Center of Jeffersonville provided the Zumba, one of many area businesses which helped support the day.
Story by Ken Cohen
KAUNEONGA LAKE May 14, 2013 Four-hundred eighty-two runners participated in the Allyson Whitney 5K race Saturday in and around Kauneonga Lake. The race is run in honor of Allyson Whitney, a Monticello native who died of small cell cervical cancer at age 25. It raises funds more than $50,000 for the Foundation in Allyson’s namesake to help patients and families affected by this rare cancer.
Martin Morales of Fleischmans dusted the field, crossing the finish line in 17:33, a full minute-and-a-half ahead of second-place finisher Calvin Waterton of Kiamesha Lake. Calvin’s nine-year-old son Evan remarkably ran the race in 22:11, good enough to finish 16th overall.
Erica Stoeckler of Pine Bush was the overall female winner with a time of 22:53.
For full results, go to eagletiming.com.
Allyson Whitney 5K Results
1. Martin Morales, Fleischmanns 17:33
2. Calvin Waterton, Kiamesha 19:07
3. Andy Hazelnis, Loch Sheldrake 19:51
4. Chris Miller, Hancock 19:54
5. Rory Meyer, Woodridge 20:13
6. Richard White, New York 20:27
7. Eddie Motl, New York 21:01
8. Michael Tedaldi, Rock Hill 21:14
9. Adam Gold, Liberty 21:16
10. John Murran, Fallsburg 21:30
1. Erica Stoeckeler, Pine Bush 22:53
2. Sarah Grodin, Wurtsboro 23:16
3. Gina Massaro, Brooklyn 24:13
4. Kristen Peluso, Warwick 24:15
5. Emily Martin, Mongaup Valley 24:17
6. Kelly Irving, Cochecton 24:50
7. Danielle McNally, New York 24:58
8. Kaitlyn Fanning, Youngsville 25:05
9. Amanda Zeno, South Fallsburg 25:15
10. Camryn Glick, Glen Wild 25:26