By Rob Potter
ROCK HILL Every November, the Falling Colors 8K Run/5K Walk held by the Sullivan Striders Running & Walking Club brings hundreds of runners and walkers of all ages from Sullivan County and beyond to Rock Hill.
This year was no different as 205 particpants ranging from elementary school students to senior citizens competed in Saturday’s 11th annual race, including 7-year-old Sage Evans of Rock Hill. This was the first time that Evans, who is a second-grade student at Emma Chase Elementary School in Wurtsboro, competed in the event.
She placed 25th in the 5K Walk with a time of 54 minutes, 17.9 seconds.
“It was fun,” said Evans, who had several of her friends competing with her.
Sage Evans’ mother, Amanda Evans, was one of the participants in the 8K Run. She finished 84th overall in a time of 42:28.2.
One of the oldest athletes to run in the 8K was 77-year-old Mary Heinle of White Sulphur Springs. She took first place in the 70 and Over Female category with a time of 1:05.19.4. That time also placed her 162nd among all of the 8K finishers.
“I have run this race several times,” Heinle said. “It’s a challenge.
“I’m going to keep running,” she added. “I enjoy it so much.”
The winner of Saturday’s 8K Run was Jon Lindenauer of New Paltz. He crossed the finish line in a time of 26:59.2. more than a minute and a half faster than second place finisher Raymond Revell, who recorded a time of 28:35.2.
Lindenauer is a 2011 graduate of Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J. He competed for the school’s cross country and track teams.
Lindenauer said he learned about the Falling Colors 8K/5K from a website called “Running in the USA.”
“I stayed with my uncle in Goshen last night before driving up here this morning,” Lindenauer said. “I have stayed with a family member or friend the night before a race several times. It helps me relax and prepare for the race.
“I like running elite 8K races,” he continued. “I run 5Ks and 10Ks, but there is something about 8Ks. An 8K race is a nice distance.”
Lindenauer said he liked the Falling Colors course.
“I had fun,” he said. “I liked the downhill sections. I really wanted to break 27 minutes. My time was about 22 minutes after the fourth mile, so I had to run the last mile in less than five minutes. There was a good downhill near the end, so I was able to do it.”
Katy Schlichtman of Wurtsboro was the first woman to finish the 8K Run. Her winning time was 31:37.4, which was good enough for 11th overall.
Sullivan Striders member Tom Manza served as the emcee for the awards ceremony held immediately after the race in the Emerald Green Clubhouse.
He thanked several of his fellow Sullivan Striders members for all of their hard work in organizing and holding the successful event. Those members included Kim Klemen, John Flynn, Kim Flynn, Abby Billias, Kelly Desmond, Bill Norton, Nancy Warth, Nancy Figueroa, Bill Norton, Steve Holmbraker, Dennis Toscano, Maryann Manza, Harold Johnson and Joyce Waterman.
“We thank everyone for coming out today,” Tom Manza said. “We had a great turnout and everybody ran a great race today.”
The top 20 finishers in the 8K Run and 5K Walk were as follows:
1. Jon Lindenauer,New Paltz, 26:59.2
2. Raymond Revell, Wurtsboro, 28:35.2
3. Juan Soriano, Middletown, 28:45.4
4. Jason Kennedy, Honesdale, Pa., 29:30.6
5. Jim Phelan, Montgomery, 29:33.6
6. Tom Stratton, Parksville, 29:42.6
7. Michael Bassett, Rock Hill, 29:47.4
8. Erick Sellstrom, Liberty, 30:45.9
9. Frank Colella, Campbell Hall, 30:56.1
10. John Sellstrom, Liberty, 31:30.6
11. Katy Schlichtman, Wurtsboro, 31:37.4
12. Franz Scholten, Greenville, 31:38.6
13. Tyler Foxwell, Rock Hill, 31:49.9
14. William Uribe, Monroe, 31:58.7
15. Ken Devries, Hopewell Junction, 32:15.9
16. Donald Thurston, Pine Bush, 32:18.4
17. Kevin Adams, Walden, 32:26.9
18. Douglas Kennedy, Honesdale, Pa., 32:52.9
19. Jonathan Redeker, Goshen, 32:53.9
20. Kristin Matson, Middletown, 33:46.4
1. Robert Harjes, Pine Bush, 30:48.6
2. Virginia Sanborn,Livingston Manor, 33:21.2
3. Mira Weiss, New York City, 34:30.4
4. James Goldfarb, Harris, 36:03.2
5. Jill Thurston, Bullville, 37:03.2
6. Barry Lewis, Woodbourne, 37:04.4
7. Helen Rados, Harris, 37:06.9
8. Ron Buesing, Wurtsboro, 37:18.1
9. Dru Buesing, Wurtsboro, 37:34.9
10. Analey Dietrich, Parksville, 38:56.4
11. Pat Owen, 46:45.1
12. Joanne Slesinski, Wurtsboro, 46:47.2
13. Rebekah Phelan, Montgomery, 47:50.4
14. Patricia Aigotti, Washington Township, N.J., 47:58.4
15. Julia Simonetti, Rock Hill, 48:53.4
16. Cheri Colella, 48:56.9
17. Maryann Manza, Monticello, 48:56.9
18. June Ellmauer, Youngsville, 49:16.7
19. Cindy Ellmauer, Youngsville, 49:19.9
20. Susan Munyan, Ft. Pierce, Fla., 49:20.4.