By Rob Potter
ROCK HILL November 9, 2007 Athletes of all ages came to Rock Hill last Saturday to compete in the annual Falling Colors 8K Run/5K Walk.
The event, which is held by the Sullivan Striders Running and Walking Club, began and ended near the Emerald Green Clubhouse. A total of 161 runners completed the 8K event, while 44 walkers finished the 5K event.
Race Director Nancy Warth was very pleased with how the event went.
“I would say it was very successful,” she said. “A lot of the runners said it was a great event. They said they enjoyed running today because the weather was colder.”
Martin Seybold of Lake Ariel, Pa. won the 8K run. He completed the race in a time of 28 minutes and 56 seconds.
Seybold finished more than 30 seconds ahead of Joseph Moeckealheim of Hancock, who recorded a time of 29:31 to place second.
Andy McKean of Bethel was third with a time of 29:44.
The first woman to cross the finish line was Chelsie Schadt of Jeffersonville. She ran the course in a time of 32:51 and placed 14th overall.
Edna Harrison and Alissa Nowak finished second and third, respectively, in the women’s division. Harrison, a resident of New Paltz, placed 24th overall with a time of 35:33. Nowak, who lives in Middletown, was 30th overall in 36:29.
It was the first time that Schadt, a 17-year-old senior at Sullivan West Central School, competed in the event.
“I really liked this course,” said Schadt, who has been a member of the SW girls’ cross country team for four years and recently competed in the Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (OCIAA) and Section IX cross country championship meets. “I liked the rolling hills that are not too steep.
“It was a lot of fun running in this race,” she added.
The Sullivan Striders Running and Walking Club sponsors the Falling Colors race each November to raise money for a scholarship fund. Every summer, the club uses money from the fund to give out scholarships to local high school graduates who participated in their school’s indoor/outdoor track program.
This past summer, the Sullivan Striders awarded a total of $2,600 in scholarships to six Sullivan County graduating seniors. Those recipients were: Max Fiedler (Tri-Valley Central School), Joanna Goldfarb (Monticello High School), Michael Kaplan (Tri-Valley), Ashley Murphy (Sullivan West Central School), Jeffrey Simpson (Liberty Central School) and Te´neshia Washington (Monticello).
The overall and age group winners in the 2007 Falling Colors race were as follows:
1. Martin Seybold, Lake Ariel, Pa., 28:56; 2. Joseph Moeckealheim, Hancock, 29:31; 3. Andy McKean, Bethel, 29:44
1. Chelsie Schadt, Jeffersonville, 32:51; 2. Edna Harrison, New Paltz, 35:33; 3. Alissa Nowak, Middletown, 36:29
Overall Male Walker
1. Bob Barrett, Smallwood, 36:20; 2. Clif Freeman, Neversink, 39:12; 3. Tom Zolonoski, Middletown, 40:38
Overall Female Walker
1. Mary Carroll, Matamoras, Pa., 39:14; 2. Linda DiPaola, Kauneonga Lake, 39:30; 3. Cindy Ellmauer, Youngsville, 39:59
9 and Under Male
1. Matthew Madsen, Matamoras, Pa., 52:40
1. Katie Madsen, Matamoras, Pa., 52:34
1. Jackson Krebs, Swan Lake, 37:53; 2. Kenny Raap III, Middletown, 57:42
1. Debbo Spannagel, New Hampton, 38:26; 2. Bekka Spannagel, New Hampton, 50:05
1. Brandon Stinehour, Napanoch, 38:04
1. Shannon Hornbeck, Neversink, 38:05; 2. Brittany Polini, Hancock, 48:07; 3. Mary Schmeider, Hancock, 1:00.19
1. Nicholas Vanderhoff, Ellenville, 34:41; 2. Luis Gonzalez, Monticello, 35:41; 3. Gray Wyatt, Hancock, 36:23
1. Ebony Cross, Monticello, 43:10; 2. Gina Rothwell, Chester, 45:48; 3. Erin Murphy, Godeffroy, 51:29
1. Brad Myers, Damascus, Pa., 32:56; 2. Zach Weinman, Jeffersonville, 34:31; 3. Jason R. Cole, Wurtsboro, 44:34
1. Leane DiSalvo, Suffern, 38:05; 2. Audra Service, Port Jervis, 41:01; 3. Amanda Evans, Rock Hill, 41:32
1. Michael Bassett, Rock Hill, 32:31; 2. Paul Maopolski, Narrowsburg, 32:47; 3. Ken Raap, Middletown, 32:58.
1. Deanna Bailey, Warwick, 36:33; 2. Margie McGoldrick, Chester, 40:15; 3. Daria Petraglia, Goshen, 40:21
1. George Shakelton, Hancock, 29:47; 2. Franz Scholten, Greenville, 30:26; 3. Marco Pabon, Middletown, 31:12
1. Terri Keating, Chester, 40:35: 2. Benita Auge, New Windsor, 42:43; 3. Rebecca Withers, Wallkill, 43:41
1. Bruce York, Suffern, 33:29; 2. Dave Getz, Warwick, 33:32; 3. Peter Weinman, Jeffersonville, 35:43
1. Josefa Downing, Middletown, 52:53; 2. Margaret Kowalski, Beach Lake, Pa., 53:37
1. Lorne J. McDonald, Sussex, N.J., 36:08; 2. Kent Laudeman, West Point, 36:28; 3. Jim Spannagel, New Hampton, 39:43
70 and Over Female
1. Mary Heinle, White Sulphur Springs, 59:57
70 and Over Male
1. Phil Brennan, Milford, Pa., 43:04; 2. Jon Schultz, Wilmington, Del., 44:54; 3. Herb Waterman, Middletown, 45:20