Sullivan County Democrat
O n l i n e  E d i t i o n National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
  SPORTS ARCHIVES Established 1891 Callicoon, New York  
home  |  archives

Laura Stabbert | Democrat

Livingston Manor’s Troy Correa, who scored 23 points against The Family School, drives down the lane in the fourth quarter of Monday night’s OCIAA Div. VI game. As shown on the scoreboard in the background, the Wildcats had a two-point lead with just over three minutes left in regulation.

Family School
edges Manor

By Laura Stabbert
HANCOCK – December 24, 2010 — After enjoying a double-digit lead for much of Monday night’s Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (OCIAA) Div. VI basketball game The Family School Falcons needed overtime to defeat the visiting Livingston Manor Wildcats, 80-76.
The Family School (2-0, 1-0 Div. VI) didn’t waste anytime, quickly earning a 6-0 lead on Manor.
Opening the second quarter, Family School’s Francis Hannon connected with the basket and drew a foul. Even though Hannon missed his free throw the Falcons were not discouraged as Joe Plonski stole the ball and made a layup to give Family School a 19-9 advantage.
It was a low-scoring first half, but the teams were playing at a high level of competition. Wildcat forward Kenny Fisk was fouled and made both free throws to cut the Falcons’ lead to 28-19 at halftime.
On the first play of the second half Brandon Smith scored to bring Manor (2-1, 0-1 Div. VI) within seven points.
The Falcons held onto their lead for a majority of the quarter, but in the final minutes of the third period Manor rallied. Mike Mills gave the Wildcats momentum by sinking a 3-pointer at the buzzer, which reduced the Falcons’ lead to 46-43 going into the final quarter.
Manor’s Troy Correa scored to open the fourth period making the score 46-45. This was the closest the score had been all game, and it was hard to hear plays being called as the crowd went wild.
For about five minutes, both teams exchanged the lead.
There was 3:48 on the clock and Manor had a two-point advantage when Smith fouled out.
“We tried to foul number 10 [Smith] out, we got him out,” said Family School Coach Larry Patrisso after the game.
The game had become a fight to the finish. Eckert scored for Family School but Correa answered to put Manor up 59-58.
The score tied was again at 63-63 with exactly one minute on the clock.
Correa scored on the next Manor possession, but the Falcons weren’t going down that easy. Eckert was able to put up another two points before the buzzer sounded. Eckert’s basket knotted the score at 65-65, forcing a four-minute overtime.
Following the game, Patrisso revealed what he said to his team heading into overtime.
“I told them they had to go to the basket because our shots weren’t falling, they didn’t listen to me,” he said.
Eckert hit back-to-back 3-pointers from downtown to start the momentum for Family School as a “you can’t stop him” chant was bellowing through the gym.
Manor was still competing, but the clock was their fatal opponent. When the clock hit all zeros, Family School had the 80-76 victory.
“Our athletic ability is unbelievable,” said Patrisso.
Eckert finished with a game-high 25 points and Correa put up 23 points to lead the Wildcats, Fisk and Smith both posted 16 points for Manor.

top of page  |  home  |  archives