Sullivan County Democrat
Callicoon, New York
June 18, 2013 Issue
National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
Established 1891
news | sports | obituaries | archives | classifieds | subscribe | NEW! buy photos | links | contact | tv listings | lottery



Sullivan County Democrat

Promote Your Page Too

"Inside Out"
Jeanne Sager's Weekly
Column in the Democrat

"Give Us Paws"
Ruth Huggler's Weekly
Column in the Democrat

John Conway's Look Back at the History of Sullivan County

Sullivan Renaissance

Sullivan County Chamber
Of Commerce & Industry

Sullivan County
Visitor's Association

Sullivan County
Government Center

Sullivan County
Partnership for
Economic Development

Please visit our
Community Links
section for other
Sullivan County


Reprieve for SCVA

By Dan Hust
MONTICELLO — Legislators yesterday dropped plans to immediately request proposals (RFP) for a nonprofit tourism agency to handle the county’s tourism marketing.
The change won’t be official until voted upon at the full Legislature meeting on February 16, but Legislature Chairman Scott Samuelson indicated yesterday that most, if not all, of the nine legislators are in agreement.
“We resolved everything while we were up in Albany,” he told the Democrat, referring to a three-day trip earlier this week that new legislators took to become familiar with state government.
“The resolution came about because the legislators heard the public and wanted to respond,” said Legislator Ira Steingart at the Community and Economic Development Committee meeting yesterday, which he chairs and where the initial vote occurred.
The move spares the Sullivan County Visitors Association (SCVA) from having to hastily put together an RFP to compete for the contract it currently holds with the county. Members and leaders of the SCVA had decried the Legislature majority’s intent to RFP the contract by March 31, just revealed last week after closed-door meetings, then enacted by a 5-4 vote last Thursday.
Pending the official vote on February 16, the SCVA will keep its contract till the end of this year but will have to compete with any other interested non-profits when the Legislature does issue an RFP, now set to be done by August 31.
However, the 2012 contract only gives the SCVA 85 percent of the estimated $700,000 in room tax revenues, the minimum proscribed by state law. The county has discretion over the remaining 15 percent, though it has to be used for either the SCVA or for administrative costs on the county’s end.
In recent years, the SCVA has been given the entire 100 percent, but legislators seem interested in putting the discretionary 15 percent to other uses.
“That’s still on the table,” remarked Steingart.
The county has also reserved the right to agree to a single-year or multi-year contract for 2013 and beyond.
During yesterday’s committee meeting, Legislator Gene Benson demanded detailed expense reports from the SCVA.
“I would like to see a copy of your expense records so taxpayers know where their money is going,” he told SCVA Executive Director Roberta Byron-Lockwood.
Byron-Lockwood said that information is already on file with the county, and she’s willing to provide whatever else the Legislature seeks.
“Thank you for the passage of this resolution,” she told legislators.

Copyright © 1999-2013 Catskill-Delaware Publications.
The information you receive online from the Sullivan County Democrat Online Edition is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Content contained within this website is for the sole and exclusive use of Catskill-Delaware Publications. Please read our user agreement and our use information
privacy statement.
Internet Services provided by Time Warner, Site Design by Green Enterprises

top of page       top of page