Sullivan County Democrat
O n l i n e  E d i t i o n National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
  SPORTS ARCHIVES Established 1891 Callicoon, New York  
home  |  archives
Democrat Photo by Rob Potter

KATIE PORTZ OF Livingston Manor makes a splash as she slides to kick the ball away from The Family School’s Ashley Myers in Friday’s OCIAA girls’ soccer match.

Manor, Family
Go Head-to-Head

By Rob Potter
HANCOCK — October 18, 2005 – The Livingston Manor and Family School girls’ soccer teams made the best of adverse weather conditions on Friday afternoon in Hancock.
A steady drizzle fell throughout the Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (OCIAA) Division VI soccer match, which meant that the Lady Wildcats and Lady Falcons often ran through puddles and clumps of mud to kick the ball up field. In addition, several players slipped and fell into the mud or wet grass while attempting to kick the ball.
The two teams played with heart and determination through 80 minutes of regulation and two 10-minute overtime periods. And at the final whistle, the match ended in a 2-2 tie.
Sarah Miller gave The Family School (0-10-2, 0-6-1 Division VI) an early 1-0 lead when she scored a goal in the first few minutes of the match.
At the 9:24 mark, Manor’s Jackie Trotti evened the match at 1-1 when she beat Lady Falcon goalie Jessica Fairweather with a long shot from near the top of the goal box.
Early in the second half, Ashley Myers gave The Family School a 2-1 advantage when she scored on a breakaway. Myers gained control of the ball near midfield and dribbled between two Lady Wildcat defenders before sending a high shot just under the crossbar and into the back of the net. Manor goalkeeper Bianca Colton jumped up to stop the shot, but the ball flew just over her hands.
After sending several shots at Fairweather throughout the remainder of the second half, Manor (3-5-2, 3-1-1 Division VI) tied the match with just 58 seconds left in regulation. The ball got away from Fairweather and the Lady Falcon defenders. As it rolled near the open net, Trotti rushed in and sent the ball into the back of the net with a quick kick of her right foot.
Despite their best efforts, neither the Lady Wildcats or Lady Falcons could score a goal in the two OT periods.
Fairweather ended the match with 41 saves, while Colton made six saves.
“Our shooting percentage was terrible,” Manor Coach Shirlee Davis.
But Davis was happy with her team’s effort.
“These girls played hard the entire match,” she said. “We would like to leave with a win, but all things considered, it’s great to leave with a tie.”
Davis noted that the Lady Wildcats “need to improve our shooting percentage.”
Although his team was less than a minute away from its first victory of the season, Family School Coach Joe Lichty was content with the outcome of the match.
“Both teams played as hard as they could,” he said. “Our girls were excellent today. We are pleased to get a tie.”

top of page  |  home  |  archives