By Matt Youngfrau
ROCK HILL June 18, 2002 - The 10th Annual Walter A. Rhulen Memorial Rock Hill Run and Ramble took place this past Saturday at the Frontier Insurance Headquarters in Rock Hill.
The nearly 400 runners in the 5K event raised a total of $30,000 after expenses.
It went very well. I'm very pleased, said Run and Ramble Chairperson Susan Rhulen-Loughlin. $30,000 was our goal this year and we made that. I was very pleased with the quality of runners this year.
The 385 runners who crossed the finish line either ran on their own or were running as part of a team. For example, local Weight Watchers groups signed up a team of 96 participants. Of that number, 80 showed up and finished the race.
There were some good team efforts, Rhulen-Loughlin remarked. I want to thank the community (members) for all they did. It was a good team effort that raised money for a worthy cause.
The $30,000 will be divided between the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the American Heart Association. All of the money will stay in the local area.
Runners competed in various age-groups, from 10 and under all the way to 70 and over. The 5K course wound around Lake Louise Marie.
Mike Slinskey of Wappingers Falls won the race in 15:28. Finishing behind him were Andy Latincsics of Newton, NJ in 16:11 and Raymond Revell of Campbell Hall in 16:36.
1. Kate Collins, Pine Bush, 27:18; 2. Barbara Doten, Hopewell Junction, 28:21; 3. Judy Pilny, Jeffersonville, 28:38.
1. Lorne MacDonald, Sussex, NJ, 20:42; 2. Sherman Golden, South Fallsburg, 20:48; 3. Craig Schumacher, Callicoon, 21:53.
1. Mary Heinle, White Sulphur Springs, 34:10; 2. Judy Rhulen, Monticello, 35:27; 3. Rita Domber, Rock Hill, 39:16.
1. Dennis Golladay, Weedsport, 21:27; 2. George Realmuto, Goshen, 22:56; 3. Herb Waterman, Middletown, 23:51.
70 and Over Female
1. May Nishman, Woodridge, 35:11; 2. Norma Goldfarb, Monticello, 42:39; 3. Frieda Smith, Montgomery, 56:08.
70 and Over Male
1. E.J. Szulwach, Chester, 25:55; 2. Al Manz, Montgomery, 33:31; 3. Bernard Milch, Rock Hill, 36:19.
The overall standings for the women were very close as well. Just 11 seconds separated the top three finishers. Conni Grace of Poughquag won the race in 18:43. Following closely for second and third place, respectively, were Heidi Everett-Power of Warwick (18:47) and Jean Norton of Wurtsboro (18:54).
I won last year, Grace said after the race. Last weekend, I ran the Orange Classic and Heidi beat me. I had nightmares about that all week. I tried to run smart. I could hear her breathing. I wasnt sure I could hold her off. I was racing against her. She has improved so much. It is very cool to win.
Once the race was over, a celebration at took place at Frontier. Jon Zanger provided music while Pizza The Rock provided lunch.
The crowd of over 500 enjoyed the remainder of the morning while the runners took a well-deserved rest.
Following are top three finishers in each age group.
10 and Under Female
1. Alissa Nowak, Middletown, 29:29; 2. Katey Knapp, Bloomingburg; 36:25; 3. Anagabriele Loor, Thompsonville, 40:28.
10 and Under Male
1. Zachary Grieb, Goshen, 24:23; 2. Matthew Schechler, Middletown, 27:18; 3. Trevor Loughlin, Rock Hill, 28:24.
1. Kristin Clark, Blooming Grove, 20:34; 2. Ashley Hunter, Mountaindale, 24:08; 3. Darian Niforatos, Rock Hill, 26:25.
1. Zar Pantel, Thompsonville, 19:42; 2. Anthony Ng, Monticello, 20:53; 3. Ben McKean, Shohola, Pa., 21:08.
1. Tricia Monteforte, Middletown, 21:13; 2. Katie Morton, Bloomingburg, 21:52; 3. Jennifer Shakelton, Hancock, 22:34.
1. Matt Manzi, Parksville, 16:43; 2. Steven Creek, Grahamsville, 17:16; 3. Juan Scali, Slate Hill, 17:57.
1. Mary Rickard, Hartsdale, 22:35; 2. Michele Irizarry, Goshen, 23:00; 3. Mindy Lippel, Rock Hill, 26:21.
1. Calvin Waterton, Swan Lake, 17:48; 2. Roal Bressler, Livingston Manor, 18:27; 3. Kevin Powers, Warwick, 18:59.
1. Courtney Harding, Wappingers Falls, 20:35; 2. Sandra Dalles, Asonia, 20:58; 3. Tamar Senyak, Chester, 21:06.
1. Erick Sellstrom, Liberty, 18:11; 1. Gary Owens, Philadelphia, 18:11; 3. Andy McKean, Jeffersonville, 18:14.
1. Myriam Loor, Thompsonville, 24:41; 2. Jeanine Nestor, Nanuet, 24:57; 3. Sandra Nackley, Liberty, 25:12.
1. George Shakelton, Hancock, 17:11; 2. Wayne McDaniel, Hopewell Junction, 17:39; 3. George Shurter, Middletown, 17:44.