Sullivan County Democrat
O n l i n e  E d i t i o n National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
  NEWS ARCHIVES Established 1891 Callicoon, New York  
home  |  archives
Democrat Photo by Paul Hemmer

A 79-YEAR-OLD MAN perished in this blaze in Harris Tuesday. According to fire officials, Angelo Pollos fell asleep while smoking, and his cigarette started the fire that led to his death.

Fire Turns Out
To Be Fatal

By Matt Youngfrau
HARRIS — October 4, 2002 – An early morning fire Tuesday took the life of a 79-year-old Harris man on Old Route 17 across from Red Beard’s Tavern.
The New York State Police received calls that Angelo Pollos’ home was on fire at 6:56 that morning. The calls came from passersby who saw the flames and smoke.
Monticello firefighters immediately came to the scene. They ended up being assisted by the fire departments of Rock Hill, Swan Lake, Hurleyville, and Liberty. Fallsburg firefighters were on standby, and Mobilemedic provided paramedics at the scene.
An autopsy was completed Tuesday. According to State Police Inspector David Goggin, it was ruled an accidental fire. Apparently, Pollos fell asleep while smoking a cigarette that ignited the blaze.
Pollos belonged to the VFW and worked for Meals on Wheels for ten years. He had also worked part-time at the Sullivan County Landfill, where he supervised recycling.
“He was very dedicated and conscientious,” commented Solid Waste Management Director John Kehlenbeck. “He was a very nice man. It is unfortunate.”
He is survived by two daughters, a stepdaughter, a girlfriend, and seven grandchildren.

top of page  |  home  |  archives