Sullivan County Democrat
O n l i n e  E d i t i o n National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper
  SPORTS ARCHIVES Established 1891 Callicoon, New York  
home  |  archives
Democrat Photo by Rob Potter

AS FALLSBURG’S CAROLYN Blanchard stays with her, Eldred’s Aimee Schneider looks to kick the ball downfield in Wednesday’s game.

Eldred Scores a Win

By Rob Potter
ELDRED — October 12, 2001 – A pair of goals by Aimee Schneider helped the Eldred girls’ soccer team record a non-league victory over Fallsburg Wednesday afternoon.
Schneider scored a goal in each half as the Lady Yellow Jackets notched a 3-1 win.
With 22:54 left in the first half, Schneider, a senior striker, took a pass from teammate Jenna Fredericks near the Fallsburg goal. Schneider beat a defender and then sent a low shot past Lady Comet goalie Ashley Frunzi.
Four minutes into the second half, Eldred (5-4-2) made it a 2-0 game. Aimee Schneider took the ball about five yards in front of the Lady Comets’ goal and put a low shot past Frunzi. Ashley Schneider was credited with an assist on the play.
Fallsburg (2-3-1) responded later in the half when Sara Halprin scored. Eldred’s Casey Williams came out of the goal to try and stop the ball, but Halprin put the ball in behind her.
Felicia Strauss was credited with an assist on the tally.
Eldred regained its two-goal advantage when Kara Leek scored on a penalty kick with 5:33 left in the contest. A Fallsburg player was whistled for touching the ball with her hand while in the goal box and Leek made the subsequent penalty kick count.
Earlier in the second half, Eldred’s Amanda Pierce took a penalty kick when the Lady Comets were whistled for a hand ball in the goal box. Pierce’s shot, however, hit the right post and bounced away.
For the game, Eldred managed 22 shots on goal and Fallsburg had only six. Fallsburg held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks, however.
Williams was credited with five saves, while Frunzi had nine stops.
The game ended prematurely when a Fallsburg player was injured in a midfield collision with an Eldred player with 16 seconds left on the clock. Concerned coaches, fans and players watched quietly as the Lady Comet was loaded into an ambulance and taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure.
The officials and coaches then decided not to play the final seconds and the teams quietly left the field after the traditional post-match handshake.

top of page  |  home  |  archives