By Matthew Kleiner
Head Golf Professional
Villa Roma Country Club
CALLICOON August 3, 2001 The 20th Annual Sullivan County Democrat Two-Man Better Ball Golf Tourney will be teeing off at 8 a.m. this morning and, with nine former champs in this years field, the chances are pretty good that a former champion may win it again.
The Villa Roma course is in great condition for this years tourney and with 112 golfers on the course for three days, Golf Course Superintendent Jeff Coccodrilla will be busy.
Here is a rundown on how I see the Championship Flight shaping up, and who I pick to be the 2001 winner of the Democrat, Sullivan Countys most competitive amatuer tournament.
1. Solomon-Jordan - Solomon won two amatuer qualifiers and is a seasoned veteran who is playing well. If putting holds up he and Jordan could bring home the trophy.
2. Semenetz-Phillips - Two solid players at the Villa Roma that nobody will want to play.
3. Rymer-Philossoph - Back together to try and win a second title. Two experienced players who will be a final four team.
4. Schmidt-Drobysh - This team, year after year, gets close. In a wide open race this could be their year.
5. Newberg-Johnston - One Johnston (Cynthia) has already won a Democrat, could the family hold two titles this year? They bombed last year as partners but they will be a championship team this year. Both teams playing well right now.
6. DuBois-Elliott - Defending champions get an automatic bid into Championship Flight. Put on a great show in the stroke play format last year. Look for them to be in the mix again.
7. Steingart-Steingart - Another solid South Fallsburg combo who are due. If they stay hot and ham and egg could make a run for the top.
8. Wolcott-Simpson - Theyve got a few more rounds under their belts at the Villa so I believe with a little luck a victory is possible.
The Odds Are In:
3-1 - Solomon-Jordan
4-1 - Semenetz-Phillips
4-1 - Rymer-Philossoph
5-1 - Schmidt-Drobysh
6-1 - Newberg-Johnston
7-1 - DuBois-Elliott
7-1 - Steingart-Steingart
10-1 - Wolcott-Simpson