By Frank Rizzo
MONGAUP VALLEY May 25, 2001 Two hundred and forty anglers on scores of boats took to the waters of Swinging Bridge Reservoir in the overnight King of the Open Water Fishing Derby this past weekend.
By the time weighmaster Vincent LoCascio of the Sullivan County Conservation Club which sponsored the 16th annual contest weighed his last fish on Sunday, the winning entry had been hooked since 11:30 p.m. the night before.
Wayne Tyler, of Ulster County, used a herring to snag a 26-inch, 7-lb. 2-oz. (114 oz.) striped bass to score 140 points and easily capture the big King trophy and $300 first prize.
Tyler, in his second King tourney, said he had a hard time hooking the big striper.
I was using an aluminum lightweight pole, he noted,
As for the choice between eating or stuffing, Tyler said he does not eat fish, so he planned to give the striper away to a boat mate.
Conservation Club President Aaron Finley of Rock Hill said he was disappointed by the turnout.
We need more support, Finley noted. Well probably lose a bit of money on this tournament. Were putting less and less monet into our intended purposes.
Finley said that the non-profit club puts all of its money back into the community.
The next event will be the 18th annual Daniel Boone Target Competition on September 9 at its Clubhouse. Look for more information in these pages.
Results, with the first figure being length in inches and the second weight in ounces, followed by overall score:
1. Gary McBride, Cochecton 147&Mac218;8-18-327&Mac218;8; 2. George Marshall, White Sulphur Springs 133&Mac218;4-16-293&Mac218;4; 3. Dylan Smith, Equinunk, Pa. 133&Mac218;8-14-273&Mac218;8.
1. Wayne Tyler, Ulster County 26-114-140; 2. Joe Cenamme, Bloomingburg 243&Mac218;8-92-1163&Mac218;8; 3. Keith Kyzer, Port Jervis 237&Mac218;8-80-1037&Mac218;8.
1. Alan Velie, Middletown 203&Mac218;8-29-493&Mac218;8; 2. Greg Vealey, Cuddebackville 201&Mac218;2-26-461&Mac218;2; 3. Robert Stevens, Matamoras, Pa. 181&Mac218;2-22-401&Mac218;2; 4. James Ruark, Sparrowbush 191&Mac218;4-19-381&Mac218;4.
1. Dave Conklin, Huguenot 141&Mac218;4-18-321&Mac218;4; 2. Alan Lane, Port Jervis 115&Mac218;8-15-265&Mac218;8; 3. Brian Sturz, Goshen 121&Mac218;2-13-251&Mac218;2; 4. George Rumsey, Port Jervis 113&Mac218;4-10-213&Mac218;4.
(For anglers 16 and under)
1. Josh Allen, Slate Hill 93&Mac218;4-11-203&Mac218;4; 2. tie, Joe Durbin, Middletown and Nicholas Velazquez, Middletown 91&Mac218;4-10-191&Mac218;4; 3. Joe Juliana, Bloomingburg 87&Mac218;8-9-177&Mac218;8; 4. Bill LoCascio, Monticello 9-8-17.
1. Bill Dunn, Maybrook 221&Mac218;4-60-821&Mac218;4; 2. Fred Wilson, Liberty 217&Mac218;8-60-817&Mac218;8.